Thursday, January 24, 2008

A flock of blackbirds....

OK, so Nevada is hassling me to blog, so......
As most of you already know, my daughter, Lacey, is driving, and is doing very well, I must add.
But, as is the case with most young drivers, there are moments of levity that must be shared with the world.
Here is ours:
Lacey was driving to her writing class over Badger Mountain when up ahead we noticed that a very large gathering of Brewster's black birds were sitting right in the middle of the road and in the surrounding orchard on either side of the road.
I pointed out that she should just drive right through them and, being that I like to make every possible moment a teachable moment, I went on to say that if there is a car behind you(which there was) that it was imperative to maintain your speed and NOT deviate from the lane in case a car came from the other direction in order to aviod an animal/flock of birds.
So, heeding my direction, Lacey gritted her teeth and drove right through those birds, who took flight at the very last possible moment and it was lovely to be surrounded by literally thousands and thousands of birds, in fact, I was quite mesmerized....
I was awakened out of my reverie by some loud protestations from Lacey because it was at that exact moment, while my words still hung in the air; "it is important to maintain your speed and not deviate from your lane just to avoid an animal", that a dog appeared in our lane as we emerged from the flock of birds.
I remember yelling something like," ....SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!STOP!!!!!!!DON'T HIT THE DOG!!!!!!!!"
There was more yelling, something like," you told me not to...."
Then the giggling began which within a few moments evolved into a full-fledged belly laugh....it was great, it really was....and , at some point I explained further that a good "rule of thumb" regarding the hitting of animals was not to hit anything bigger that the car....but, cats, it was OK to hit them.
It really was a surreal experience and as I look back I can't believe I said it was OK to hit a cat, I mean, I like cats....and dogs...and animals!
Being that it is "Sanctity of Life" month brings a certain irony to the situation, doesn't it?
Well, like I said...moments of levity.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow! I did not realize she was driving already. Time slipped away from me I guess.

P.S. I like your new backgrounds.

Tricia

Jill said...

Fabulous layout! Where did you get such a beutiful blog? ;o)

I thought this month was sanctity of HUMAN life?

You know me, ever the animal lover.