Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration red-white-and-blues......

What an interesting day.....
To watch the swearing in of the next VPOTUS and POTUS, whom neither received my allegiance nor my vote, has filled me with such mixed emotions.
On the one hand, I weep for our outgoing President and the legacy of integrity, sense of security, and pride in this country that he will leave behind, and I fear what is to come with this new commander-in-chief, not really fear, but, rather I feel so much uncertainty for the future.
On the other hand, I know that I serve a sovereign God that has everything under His control.
I trust that, I really do...
So, why can't I stop crying when I think about what this day stands for?
I don't know....all that I do know is that somehow this day is very important, in fact, I believe that it is bigger than any of us realize and that is probably what I am reacting to.
I did have an epiphany yesterday as I was watching the news speak about the settling-in-process for the Obama's.
They were talking about what church the Obamas would attend now that they are living in a new town and the problems of security and how their attendance would affect the church etc,.
It got me thinking: how would our church respond if the Obamas walked through our doors????
Of course, we would embrace them and love on them and treat them as any new family coming into our midst, and that sort of "humanized" them for me, they are, after all, just people who need the Lord, and so I have mentally embraced them as folks who are on the "long-term prayer list", folks who have moved into a new neighborhood and are striving to make a home for themselves and their daughters, folks who literally have the weight of the world on their shoulders.
They deserve my respect and someday, hopefully, my admiration, but until then.....I will offer my unclenched fist toward their outstretched hands.
And I pray God's will be done.


3 comments:

Jill said...

I just finished watching the speech. I had to work this am, so am watching it late.

Also mixed emotions. I think you are right in saying this day is bigger than any of us realize. I am not sure what that all means.

kim said...

I thought of you today while watching the news coverage. I seldom watch any US related news, but today just seemed like a day to watch. I agree with you; something happened that is bigger than any of us can see right now.
Thank you for the very real visual that these are just people, just people with a really big and high-profile job. Makes it easy to be prayerful.
Excellent post!

Juli said...

Very well put Lori. I too was filled with emotion and I talked about it on my NEW blog. Yep, I have crossed over...

I love to read the things you write, so I think it should be part of your home-school lesson plans!