Tuesday, March 18, 2008

if you're straddlin' the fence, you won't like this.

I hate to beat a dead horse....but here goes anyway.
Is portraying sin a sin?
If you are an actor/would-be-actor/wannabe and you are playing the part of a, let's say a gangster surrounded by your 'ho's' , then, is that sin?
Let's go on to suggest that actor/would-be/wannabe played the part of Jesus in an Easter drama
the following weekend.
Does that pose a problem to anyone?
Is he just showing his "diverse" talents or is he a hypocrite/fraud/Pharisee?
........................................................(this is my politeness pause).......................................................................................................................................................................................
................OK, here's the thing; OF COURSE IT'S SIN!
There should be no hesitation to that...huh, the problem for me is....where is the standard?
Where do we draw the line between motive and intent and consequence????
Come on, we all sin, that's not what we're talking about in this case.
This was a deliberate act of perverting God's Word and His Truth, one weekend, then playing Jesus THE NEXT!!!!!!
I'm not being judgmental, I'm calling it what it is; HYPOCRISY, serving two masters.
OK, I said it, but it's not the end of the story.
God LOVES this person and desires for him to come to repentance.
God does discipline His children when they go astray and this person should work out his own salvation with fear and trembling.
If this person is truly saved and sanctified by the blood of Jesus Christ, then the Holy spirit lives within him and we know that the role of the HS is to convict of sin and bring them back into a right relationship with God.
I say, let's love our brother, pray for his restoration, and leave it at that.
In the meantime, let us be wise, discerned, even, and let's have a standard to live by in our circles of influence.
Let us abhor sinful behavior in our circles of influence, let us call sin sin in our circles of influence, let us be purposeful about living lives that honor our Father in all things in our C.O.I.
And let us love one another in our C.O.I.
Don't you think churches should be different from the world?
I do, but it's not so.
Anyhoo, there's the dead horse....






2 comments:

Tricia said...

I've been thinking more on this and here's what I have. First, whoever first heard of this should confront and verify the truth. If there was sin, then there should be gentle rebuke, hopefully there would be repentance. If not, the Bible says we should take one other with us. You know all this.
Then, involve more if needed. Appropriate people, like those making decisions, etc.
Here's my next thought. We really should end it here. Those that it affects should know, but unfortunately, a lot of times we just talk about it. I am afraid it then turns to gossip. Really there is no need for everyone to know what's going on, is there? As much as I might like to know all this, it really doesn't affect me personally and could actually cause me to judge others. I certainly don't want everyone to know my sins. If there is something I do that affects the church of course, that needs to change, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to know about it necessarily. But, like you said, we all sin, so in some ways until we are complete in HIM we all have areas of hypocrisy in our lives. So, you are right in that we need to pour out mercy and prayers for those problems of others we know about. I feel we need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives which may include confronting others in love at times, so that we can all grow closer to God. Ok, enough of my thoughts.

Love ya!

Ginger said...

I am really confused. I don't think I know what person or situation we're talking about. But the first thing that comes to my mind just from your post is....

If I follow your logic and apply it to another situation, it was a sin for all those in Judgement house who were portraying sin. We had people portraying murderers, molesters, demons, and even the devil himself. Now, some of those same actors are portraying Jesus, his disciples, and others for the Easter musical.

This was actually one of my hesitations about Judgement House in the first place...is it wrong to portray sin. That was my question. It was pretty much dismissed by everyone, and even a message was preached that we should "be everything to everyone" and that includes portraying sin for a cause.

So, now we are down to it wasn't sin for us because our motives were good, but it is apparently sin for whoever we are talking about because his motives appeared to be bad.

Is that not situational ethics?