Saturday, March 29, 2008

sad news....

I am so sad right now...
My friend, John, fell the other night and has a brain bleed and a brain injury; he will never be allowed to go home because he lives with his wife and she has many health issues, as well.
Hopefully, he will be able to go into a rehab place until his family can make arrangements for him.
It has been so sweet to see he and Alice Faye lean on each other and sometimes fall on each other, not really, but to see how fiercely they love one another and how desperate they have been to stay together until the Lord calls them home.
Neither one of them wanted to go into a facility where they would be cared for, instead they wanted to care for each other, against the advice of their doctors and family.
I admire their passion for that, and now, it seems that the choice will be taken away and for that I am very sad for them both.
Their daughter-in-law, Julie called and told me and she shared with me how even in the midst of this crisis she realized how very blessed she and her family are for simply having each other and treasuring the relationships they have.
It has really made me stop and think about my relationship in my family and how very non-existant they are, especially with my brothers.
Shame on me for taking them for granted.
I think that my relationships with my friends and immediate family are healthy and good and the pattern for my whole life has been to cling to those who appreciate me for me and dismiss the rest, including family, which is not right.
"Father, show me how to mend these broken relationships. Fill my heart with love and I pray that they will forgive my indifference and embrace a new relationship with me. And I pray that you will heal John so that he could return to his family.
Amen."

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I am glad they have you to help them through it all.